Julie's Reviews > Chasing the Sun

Chasing the Sun by Kaki Warner

F_50x66
Oct 16, 10

Recommended for: western romance, romance, new mexico historical fiction
Read from October 14 to 15, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Writing the last book in a romance trilogy can be a tricky thing for an author. New characters and old must interact. Loose ends must be tied up, mysteries explained and conflicts resolved. Oh, and one must still find room for romance. Kaki Warner delivers on all counts in Chasing the Sun, the last book in her Blood Rose trilogy about the Wilkins brothers and the women who love them in late 1800s New Mexico.

Readers have eagerly anticipated the story of Jack, the youngest Wilkins, whose conflicted relationship with his brothers has been woven through the first two books, Pieces of Sky and Open Country. As I read about the Wilkins family, he has not been the easiest character to love but any younger sibling understands Jack’s feelings of suffocation and need for adventure. He is not the oldest, hardened but caring, like his brother Brady. He is not the gentle, thoughtful giant like his brother Hank. Jack is the wanderer, the least responsible of the three, and the most in need of a wake-up call. In Warner’s delightful style, he gets one. In Chasing the Sun, just as in Pieces of Sky and Open Country, Warner provides the hero with a worthy heroine. She tests Jack, challenging his rough edges and weaknesses, and ultimately opens him to new possibilities of love and commitment.

A true page turner, Chasing the Sun is full of action and adventure described with Warner’s trademark detail. Once again, her characters’ relationships provide a story filled with emotional, humorous, and gut-wrenching moments. With its background on the brothers’ tangled relationships with each other, the history of their homestead and description of Old West struggles, Chasing the Sun is more than just a satisfying end to a trilogy. I found myself describing this book, these books, as a saga, an epic adventure I am sorry to see end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing the Sun.