Lynda's Reviews > Being Dead

Being Dead by Jim Crace

F 50x66
Oct 16, 10

Read in October, 2010

This was much better than I thought it would be, and in fact I am about to start reading it again so that I can make notes. Considering that this book was about a murder it was a very calm book and the only violence was in the brief passage decribing the actual death. Joseph and Celice met when they were both students , grew up , married and had a daughter. They went on to live produtive but unexciting (according to their daughter) lives. The book drifts effortlessly backwards and forwards telling of how they met and how they died.It then fills in the gaps in their life story and also describes the state of their bodies as they lay in the dunes.
I kept thinking that this was going to be sad and that I would be depressed but actually I found it very calming and alsost soothing. I hope that when I read it again I shall find out more about them as you sometimes miss or forget small parts of the story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Dead.

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Love Glad you enjoyed it, it's a long time since I read it, but I also remember being pleasantly surprised by how peaceful it was.

Don't know if you've read anything else by Jim Crace - Arcadia was good, but Quarantine was tedious.