Carol's Reviews > Buzz: A Year of Paying Attention

Buzz by Katherine Ellison

Oct 20, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from October 16 to 18, 2010

This is an incredible book. The author, Katherine Ellison, whose son has ADD and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) and who has been told by others that she may have ADD herself, takes off a whole year from work to try to find the best thing to do in order to cope. She calls her son Buzz for the book in order to protect his identity.
Her son had become impossible to live with, he was having numerous trantrums, abusing his younger brother, demanding expensive toys and clothes, getting into trouble at school a lot and had formed no friendships with his classmates in grade school. This was causing her constant worry, to lose her temper often and aggravated her own concentration problems. She wanted to avoid sending him to boarding school so she decided to take a whole year off from work to figure what to do.
The author, details the problems that son was causing in the family yet she fervently wanted to keep the family together. She plunged into the research with the same passion that he had when she was an investigative journalist (earned a Pulitzer prize for her work). She skillfully toggles back and forth with tales of her family during that year and the areas that she researched. She thoroughly researched and gives the pros and cons of all the available treatments today. There are too many to list in this review.
I feel that I learned a lot about ADD and ODD and the frustrations that come with them. I highly recommend this book to anyone with ADD or who has a child with ADD. I won this book from Library Thing but think if you need to buy this book it is money well spent. I congratulate the author on writing a very engaging and informative book
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buzz.

10/16/2010 page 1