Lucy's Reviews > Thirteen Pearls

Thirteen Pearls by Melaina Faranda

Oct 16, 10

Recommended for: People looking for a break from serious books.
Read from October 15 to 16, 2010, read count: 1

In her last year of high school, Edith Sparks’ exams are over and all her time and energy is clearly devoted to her dream Yacht ‘Ulysses.‘ With plans to sail around the world solo Edie is bored with the pointless cycle her life seems to have and frustrated with her lack of building funds. What at first glance appears to be an easy way to earn $4000, Edie goes to her uncle’s island, which is one of the Torres Strait Islands, to babysit her 4-year-old cousin. Though her cousin turns out to be the spawn of satan, her uncle Red is a most heartless and difficult man, she is assigned with ‘pink’ jobs the second she arrives, not to mention the two gorgeous boys who create problems enough on their own and the Islands temperamental weather.

Whilst there predicaments weren’t life changing or worldwide events, I found that I cared about the characters and what was going on in their lives.
I enjoyed that the location Thirteen Pearls was it’s own place, that the beach I conjured up in my mind wasn’t some place I’ve been to before, which is something I like in a book. It was a good setting for the story, and the characters interacted well with their surroundings, this story couldn’t have happened in a big city which is quite a decent thing to achieve.

Overall I think author, Melaina Faranda, deserves to be applauded on the way she’s written the characters. The story is easy to follow while still being interesting enough to read in one sitting. In my book blog, justonemorebookblog.blogspot.com, I gave it 32/60.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Pearls.