Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Bright Young Things

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

For most of the book, I was bound and determined to give it 3 stars. I was alright with the story but not overly impressed. The characters were fine, but I'm still partial to Diana and Henry from this author's other series The Luxe.

Then, the last 75 pages hooked me from out of nowhere. I should have known that Godberson was going to pull the rabbit out of the hat. After all, nothing should shock me now after the complete emotional rollercoaster that Luxe took me on.

Who is Thom? Is he good or bad? What about Charlie? Is he redeemable, or just a cad? Will Letty once again find the nice man she left behind for one not quite as nice? There are so many unanswered questions that I'm sure will not be so easily resolved in the next book, already knowing this author's style of storycrafting!

A fun twist has been the addition of the flapper era. It's been enjoyable to learn about New York's seedy nightlife, and the patrons who frequent the speakeasies of the time period. Even though we've fast forwarded 20 years from the Luxe, it's nice to see an attention to detail that this author makes in capturing the little things another writer might leave out. I can almost imagine the clothes, the cars and the clubs in my head.

The characters feel a little bit recycled from her other series, but I'll give it a pass for now and see how they develop. Can't wait to see what happens next!
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Young Things.

02/15/2011 page 64
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Cirilla (new)

Cirilla Is it as good as Luxe?

Stacia (the 2010 club) Hmmm...I think that I will end up liking it as much as Luxe, but it took about halfway into this book for me to start connecting with the characters.

message 3: by Cirilla (new)

Cirilla Anyone like Henry?

Stacia (the 2010 club) Cordelia and Thom seem to be the Diana and Henry of this book. So far they're being kept apart by dads that hate each other.

message 5: by Cirilla (new)

Cirilla Oh well then thats alright. I'll have to read it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Lmao, just had an oh snap! moment near the end of the book.

message 7: by Cirilla (new)

Cirilla xD why

Stacia (the 2010 club) There was a death, an accusation, and a girl being humiliated. It was great.

message 9: by Cirilla (new)

Cirilla You're making me want to drop everything and read it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) The next one's not out for a few months, so I'd say definitely read it, but maybe wait until closer to book 2's release? At least that way you don't have to wait to find out what happens.

message 11: by Cirilla (new)

Cirilla Yeah true I might read it next month.

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus This book did EXACTLY the same thing to me! Before i knew it i couldnt put it down and had to know what happens.. and then bang chapter 23 onwards happens! ha ha totally want to read the next one now