Nikhil P. Freeman's Reviews > The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Jim Crow.

10/06/2011 page 20
8.0% "…some differences among slavery, Jim Crow, and mass incarceration, most significantly [is] the fact that mass incarceration is designed to warehouse a population deemed disposable—unnecessary to the functioning of the new global economy—while earlier systems of control were designed to exploit and control black labor. – Michelle Alexander"
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Strode Wow. Michelle Alexander managed to catch an indifferent rating on this title? I was anticipating one of those explosive Sikivu Hutchinson swings out of the parks

Nikhil P. Freeman Michael wrote: "Wow. Michelle Alexander managed to catch an indifferent rating on this title? I was anticipating one of those explosive Sikivu Hutchinson swings out of the parks"

Thanks for making me feel worse. LOL

The book is excellent, no doubt, but the James Baldwin quote from the "Fire Next Time", at the end of the book, did me in:

"You were born into a society which spelled out with brutal clarity, an in as many ways as possible, that you are a worthless human being."

Just that small part alone of his quote too many places emotionally on top of the excruciating list of a grievances against institutionalized White supremacy throughout the criminal justice system and the symptoms of self-hatred, self-deprecation, and inner rage experienced by people of color (by birth and/or through social class) banished to the underclass.

When are Black men ever going to not have to deal with their superpower of hyper(in)visibility? When is White supremacy finally gonna choke, die, and wither away? How much does one have to do with the other?

I feel like there is much more to say on this topic, but I'm not sure if I have the voice intelligent enough to address it (hence the three stars), and I also have the horror of knowing that my silence will not protect me if I choose to keep quiet about topics such as this.