Dini's Reviews > Anansi Boys

Jan 16, 2008

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Dini by: Jakarta's Bookworms
Read in July, 2008

"Stories are webs, interconnected, strand to strand, and you follow each story to the centre, because the centre is the end. Each person is a strand of story."

Neil Gaiman skillfully weaves the strands to make an amusing tale of two sons of the trickster spider-god, Anansi. Fat Charlie, who's actually only fat briefly during childhood, lives a normal if not boring life for twenty-something years without knowing the true identity of his estranged father. Only after his father's death does he learn that the old man was a god and there's another son in the family named Spider. Over the course of the book, Fat Charlie meets his eccentric, fun-loving brother Spider for the first time, encounters strange mythical creatures, travels to otherworldly places, and learns a lot more than he ever wants to know about himself and his family.

This is the second Gaiman book I've read after Stardust, and I found that they both tell the stories of different characters but all the branches point to the same direction in the end, where everything fits perfectly like puzzle pieces. For a book that mixes magic, brotherly camaraderie, animal spirits, white-collar crimes, ghosts and karaoke songs, Anansi Boys is certainly a funny and entertaining read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anansi Boys.

message 1: by Mita (new)

Mita How would you compare this to American Gods? I'm on the fence between wanting to read this because Gaiman is utterly charming in Stardust, but American Gods didn't quite work it for me.

Dini Can't really compare yet, soalnya American Gods baru mulai baca sampe chapter 2. It looks more serious though, while Anansi Boys is a light comedy. I say if you want to entertain yourself you should go with Anansi.

Juliana I'm not that good in english, so.. hehehe.. Saya udah baca buku ini (versi bahasa indonesia tapi), dan memang buku ini lucu dan menghibur, walaupun sedikit ironis.

Masalahnya, jujur aja, sampai sekarang saya masih kurang 'nyatu' atau 'kena' dengan dunia magisnya Gaiman. Aneh dan mungkin sedikit absurd (menurut saya), jadi selalu terasa ada yang ngeganjel. Hahaha... Entahlah, susah menjelaskannya. :D

Stardust, Neverwhere, Coraline, dan sekarang Anansi Boys. Tapi, untuk Mitzie, saran gue sih baca aja. Ini buku yang menarik dan mungkin saja elo akan 'jatuh cinta' dengan karakter Spider yang bener2 tipikal slonong boy. Hahaha..

Mudah-mudahan kalian mengerti maksud saya. :)

Dini Hai Juli,
Dunianya Gaiman emang aneh, tapi menurut saya justru di situ uniknya. Plus saya juga suka sense of humornya. Tapi ga tau nih bakal suka juga atau ngga sama American Gods.

Btw, thanks for voting for my review :D