CeJayCe's Reviews > Sphinx's Queen

Sphinx's Queen by Esther M. Friesner

Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: 111
Read from March 09 to 12, 2011

Why, oh why, can't we have more female protaganists like Nefertiti in YA lit? Too often I find myself thinking, "It's not IMPOSSIBLE for a girl to be in love and STILL be strong-willed and independent. So why do YA authors have such a hard time creating characters like that?" And then, like a ray of sunshine, Friesner comes along and makes such a challenge seem like a cakewalk.

Nefertiti is a kick-ass, honest, fearless girl with a heart of gold. Here's a girl who says to her man, "Yeah, I love you. But that doesn't mean you get to make all the decisions." Here's a girl who refuses to bend to anyone's will. Here's a girl who makes the plans AND executes them. Here's a girl who, when danger comes along, is out on the frontlines, sword raised, vanquishing the enemy. And NOT cowering and waiting for her boyfriend to take care of it.

Here is the kind of lovable, respectable, amazing, and intriguing female character all other YA authors need to take notes from! Are you reading this? TAKE NOTES!

The plot: AMAZING
Action, deceit, and intrique around every corner with just the right amount of romance. The plot picks up at the very beginning and doesn't stop until the very end. There are so many twists and turns it's impossible to put the book down.

The writing: GORGEOUS
The flow is perfect. The writing style is commendable. The characters are perfectly hashed out and voiced in a way that gives each of them a distinct personality.

I repeat: YA authors, TAKE NOTES!

Mrs. Friesner, keep doing what you're doing. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sphinx's Queen.

03/09/2011 page 108