Kristy's Reviews > A Bride in the Bargain

2079018
Oct 19, 10

bookshelves: historical-love, 2010, christian
Read from October 16 to 17, 2010 — I own a copy

The coolest thing about this book is that it is based on fact. This is sort of a mail-order-bride sort of book. I read the whole book and then at the end the author tells about her research and says that the newspaper ads in the book were taken from REAL newspaper ads from back in the 1860's. I also loved that she used real people. Some of the characters were real historical people with the same names.

This was a really sweet book. I gotta say though, after reading it I was disappointed my husband is not a lumberjack! *whistle* I wanted me a Joe Denton! haha Just kidding. I was really thought I was gonna be disappointed at the end of this book. When it started narrowing down to the last couple chapters. I was so heart broken for Mr. Denton, and I really wanted him to have both of his loves, his lady and his land. But, without giving anything away or spoiling it. I will say I like how she ended the story and I can see now how necessary it was to make him choose between his lady or his land.

There were a few spots in this book that made me laugh out loud. One of which was in chapter 11. When she was serving her first meal to the Lumberjacks. It cracked me up. I went back and read it a second time when writing this review and it made me laugh again. I think I said in my review of Deeanne Gist's other book Maid to Match, that she really has a great way of wording things so that it is more like watching a movie than reading a book. Some parts anyway. Not the whole book, but some parts I see very vividly, because she has done such a wonderful job writing it out. Chapter 11 is one of those times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bride in the Bargain.