Jerry's Reviews > Bad Blood

Bad Blood by John Sandford

Oct 18, 10

Read from October 15 to 18, 2010

We like Sandford's books, especially the long-running Lucas Davenport “Prey” series, but find the now several entries in the Virgil Flowers set equally entertaining. (The earlier, rather obscure {computer hacker} Kidd series is now pretty dated by changes in technology…) Virgil is a thinker and a lover, and is a character we feel gives more of a moral “analysis” of certain situations than in a typical whodunit.

The storyline in “Blood” rapidly becomes a little tough to take. After the first few chapters reveal four probably inter-connected murders in a small town guarded by Sheriff (Ms.) Lee Coakley, Virgil is summoned to help solve the crimes – and in the process, discovers a horrible sexual religious cult of some one hundred families, dating back nearly a century from their emigration from Germany. Frankly, as much of the tale revolves around ending the sex crimes related to the cult as to solving the rather obvious murder scenarios per se. Nonetheless, with little more than a budding sexual liaison between our principal crime solvers to relieve the tension, the author sustains action and suspense until the big cleanup at the end.

While the abuse of women and children herein lends a dark tone to the novel, we zipped through the book quite rapidly, usually a good sign that we were reasonably entertained by a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Blood.

10/15/2010 page 15