Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Jane

Jane by April Lindner

Dec 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010, romance, ya, retelling
Read in November, 2010

This re-imagining of one of my all-time favourite books, Jane Eyre, was brought to my attention by Chelle in her review, and I knew I had to read it!

Here, Jane is also an orphan but with two older siblings, both of whom are horrible people (much like Jane's cousins in the original). Forced to drop out of her studies to find a job to support herself, she applies to a temp agency and, mostly through her complete lack of interest in celebrity gossip, lands a job as live-in nanny for the little girl of a famous rock star, Nico Rathburn, who's on the verge of a major come-back.

While the plot-line faithfully follows the original, more or less, this doesn't detract from the fun of this story. Most of the things I love about the original are still here, though it is rather like reading a Pride & Prejudice sequel - nothing can ever really compare to the original. I did like Jane though, and Nico, and in a way Nico made Mr Rochester's perplexing behaviour toward Jane - his rather heavy-handed tactics at making her jealous - make more sense and feel more sympathetic. The thing I kept wondering about as I was reading, though, was how Lindner was going to handle the crazy-wife-in-the-attic side of things. Going with a celebrity - and a rock star to boot - enabled it to work.

It's a simple, straight-forward, light read that might encourage teens to read the original, but is easily enjoyable for its own sake. It can never compare to the original, but when you don't feel like reading the original and its at times heavy prose, this would be the quicker read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane.