Jenny's Reviews > The Mark

Dec 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, young-adult, paranormal
Read in October, 2010

I expected so much more from The Mark. With such a thought provoking premise, it could have been so much poignant and had that much more of an impact—which of course it didn’t.

Cassie’s seen the mark on others before but doesn’t really think anything of it. When she finally realizes what seeing the mark means she’s conflicted over what she should do about it. She does feel for the people that have the mark and debates over whether she should tell them or not. She gets sad and scared about what will happen to these people, how it will happen and who they leave behind. I felt that the author was just scratching the surface and could have explored this idea further.

Her relationship with Lucas was pretty ideal at first. They were sweet together but then there are the lies and secrets that tear at the relationship. Once Lucas finds out about her ability he changes so much. He wants Cassie to seek out people with the mark and tell them that they’re going to die—something that Cassie is reluctant to do.

The first couple chapters were interesting but after that I realized that this is one of those paranormal books that doesn’t have a lot of action. More about Cassie’s origins is revealed at the end interwoven with Greek mythology. I believe that there is a sequel in the works and hope that it explores this further in the sequel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark.