Susie's Reviews > The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them

The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine N. Aron

Nov 25, 10

Read from October 15 to November 21, 2010

Love this book. I don't like the subtitle as much, and I don't really think it reflects Aron's thoughts, but publishers like to have something catchy that sounds problem-solving, so there you go.

If you're not familiar with Aron's work on highly sensitive people: her research indicates that 15-20 percent of the population has an innately more sensitive nervous system. This makes these people more perceptive in their physical senses (sometimes only certain ones), more attuned to nuance and meaning, more emotionally responsive, and more attentive to (and thus quick to be overwhelmed by) the many stimuli in our world. This has its upsides and downsides, and Aron talks about each of them in connection with the tasks and experiences of childhood and growing up.

As a highly sensitive person myself, I found this insightful in terms of my own childhood experiences. I also think that it helps me to identify certain qualities in my young child, and gain better insight into what he needs from me as a parent.

Helpful, insightful, wise, informative, and filled with tips for each stage, this book is an extremely helpful volume for anyone who thinks their children might be highly sensitive. It will help you figure out if they are, and help you to see how you can nurture their strengths and support them in their weaknesses.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highly Sensitive Child.