Margo Berendsen's Reviews > XVI

XVI by Julia Karr

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011-my-reads, ya-science-fiction, debut-2011, young-adult, dystopia, ya-dystopian
Read from January 31 to February 07, 2011

This book gave me goosebumps at times, because it is just so frighteningly plausible. It's our same culture, just more extreme, with the media more powerful, a 1984-esque world masquerading as fake fun, fashion, flirtation.

There were some cool science fiction features, such as the Infinity Machine. And some very powerful writing:

I sat at the window and drew the shapes of the buildings outside. Rectangles and squares stacked side by side and up to the sky. Neat, orderly, controllable. The complete opposite of my life.

These next two quotes kind of summarize the overall "feel" of this book for me, which addresses some tough teenage issues, pertaining to sex and self-identity/self-worth, and handling the hard stuff that life throws at you.

"Gran says that there's only one way to the happy memories. You have to cry out the sad ones."

"I never tried to change myself to impress anyone again." I couldn't imagine Gran being any way except how she'd always been. She'd confirmed what I'd suspected all along. When two people liked each other, it wasn't about clothes or makeup or hairdos.

Curious to find out more about Sal, Rita, Wei and her parents. Loved the scene where Wei shows Nina her mother's varnished box.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read XVI.

message 1: by Carolina (new) - added it

Carolina I felt the same way!

Akoss you will love it.

Akoss I knew you will enjoy this book. :)

Theresa Milstein Thanks for the review. I just bought the book yesterday.

message 5: by Morgan (new)

Morgan is this a ya book? it sounds great