Susanna - Censored by GoodReads's Reviews > Heartstone

Heartstone by C.J. Sansom

Oct 15, 2010

bookshelves: books-with-a-passport, historical-fiction, historical-mystery, mystery, tudor, favorites
Read from October 14 to 19, 2010

I want to re-write Dr. Seuss now:

You're a mean one
Sir Richard Rich!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartstone.

06/13/2016 marked as: read

Bettie☯ howzit going *hops from foot to foot*

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Well, I can only read it in snatches, as the cat keeps wanting on my lap! (And boy does she pout if I don't let her on!) But really enjoying it so far - they are on the road now.

message 3: by Bettie☯ (last edited Oct 17, 2010 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bettie☯ I get too enthusiastic - of course you must take your time and I will wait patiently for your prognosis *bites knuckles*

hahahahahahah

Happy super Slop Sunday

[image error]

message 4: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Oct 17, 2010 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I was reading it in bed last night, and looked up and it was "gulp!" late! Yes, I'm enjoying it.

And I'm trying to read it fast not only because I'm enjoying it, but because my parents got home from their trip, and my mother is eyeing it!

Bettie☯ 5* - now I can rest easy!

phew!

Rich Dick must get his come-uppence some time soon.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Unfortunately, historically he made it to 1567!

Bettie☯ At that rate, I don't want the series to end until we get to read about his downfall (don't tell me how, historically, he met his death). I conjure up all kinds of teh horridz for his carcase.

lol

Hope 'mum' loves it too
xx

message 8: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Oct 19, 2010 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I guess we'll just have to hope that revenge is indeed a dish best served cold!

Yes, I hope she does, too.

Judy Bainbridge She does. I'm about 450 pages in, and I haven't written a word of my usually deathless prose since Susie finally let loose of it. I don't know if I can finish it today/tonight, but I'm not sure that I can go to bed without finishing it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I think we can fairly say she likes it!

message 11: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy Bainbridge I did finish it last night. However, I'd give it 4 rather than 5 stars. I think motivation for all that Shardlake does is pretty limited. And I'm not at all sure that an obsessive is my idea of a hero. On the other hand, Rich is certainly a perfect villian and the involvement of the Mary Rose is interesting.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I saw him as more of going through a mid-life crisis.

message 13: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy Bainbridge Okay, I'll grant that--but I suspect that Samson was just a little careless. At least he could have developed the obsession a tad more since he is using first person narration.

message 14: by Bettie☯ (last edited Oct 21, 2010 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bettie☯ I opted for 4* due to the triptych of quests making it somewhat ungainly:

Ellen/Bedlam
Coldiron/JoJo
Hugh/Emma

It was with this latter story where I thought I knew what was going on, hoped I was wrong and then YEP, I was right *yawn*. I know this was a popular device at that time, especially on the stage, but it left me cold and Sansom one star down.

Overall though I loved it very much and am eagerly awaiting the next where hopefully our Matthew will find a sweet little woman to ease his melancholic soul.

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy Bainbridge The war does sort of join then--but on the other hand, we have long suspected that war is hell--not a new finding here. But still the stuff about the net on the Mary Rose was new to me. We saw the recreated ship when it toured Atlantic ports about 20 years ago--fascinating.

Stuart Brandwood Oooh he's on my list that one! He'll get his comeuppence

Burmutica I read first 160 pages and I'm getting somewhat bored. Is it really worth reading?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to the series - this is a series that needs to be read in order.