Katie (Call Me Crazy)'s Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Oct 25, 10

bookshelves: reviews, favorites
Read from October 15 to 24, 2010

I've had The Mortal Instruments series sitting on my bookshelf for months and waited until just now to pick it up. For some reason I thought the story wouldn't appeal to me. As usual, I was wrong. Cassandra Clare is amazing at description. I could literally picture myself standing in the institute or hotel fighting battles alongside the characters. The setting is in New York which definitely helps give this tale a modern twist.

The leading lady, Clary, is one of my favorite people of all time. She's strong, independent and genuine. Jace is a tough and cocky shadowhunter that has secrets of his own. I love how much these two grow throughout the story as people. The supporting characters were well developed and unique.

One of the aspects I love most about this book was the sense of humor all the characters had. I found myself laughing out loud so many times during this book. Even in tense situation there was always comic relief. I also really enjoyed the relationship between Jace, Clary and Simon. These two boys are polar opposites, but Clary holds both of them close to her heart.

Even though I ended up really enjoying this book and have started on City of Ashes, I found it quite hard to stick to reading it. At some points I felt like it could have been broken off into a separate book or not even added at all. But then if it was omitted then there would have been something missing... I'm rambling, I'm just not sure how to word it.

It had some major twists from the three books told to me as some evil ploy by a friend so I knew what was coming. And I strongly, strongly dislike the twist at the end. I just kept thinking "Why?! Why must you do this Cassandra Clare?"

Characters: 5/5
Creativity: 5/5
Voice: 4.5/5
Plot: 4/5
Impact: 4/5
Overall: 4.5/5

Awesome Quote:
"So when the moon's only partly full, you only feel a little wolfy?"
"You could say that."
"Well, you can go ahead and hang your head out the car window if you feel like it."
"I'm a werewolf, not a golden retriever."

You should definitely check out this book. It's the paranormal adventure of our generation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes Katie (Call Me Crazy) Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me.”
Cassandra Clare, City of Bones

Cassandra Clare
“Alec muttered a retort into his coffee. It rhymed with something that sounded a lot more like "ducking glass mole.”
Cassandra Clare, City of Bones