Wesley Mcginnis's Reviews > The Hobbit

M_50x66
Jan 23, 11

bookshelves: 2010-2011-advisory-m-lau, favorite-books
Read in November, 2011

The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again, by J.R.R. Tolkien was an AMAZING book. In so many ways it is THE most creative book due to the insane radical journeys that J.R.R. Tolkien sends Bilbo Baggins on. If nothing else this book was ridiculous and not in a bad way. The author's ability to completely disregard all forms of realism is outstanding. Nothing in this book can be easily related to real life besides maybe the themes which themselves are not obvious. However, if I had to pick three themes that proved time and time again to be absolutely ESSENTIAL to the book they would probably be the following; The bond of friendship, the ability to always keep an open mind and will to survive.
Although the plot of the book was flawless the small adventures might have had a few holes and if I had to think of one critique of the book it would be the nonsensical solutions to every problem, but even that helped add to the overall goofy/serious contrast that the book so expertly played out.c Overall out of 10 I would give the book a 9.5 due to the fact that not only is it NOTHING like I have ever read before but because I only needed to open it and skim a few lines to be taken to a land of magic and adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.