Marigold's Reviews > The Language of Baklava

The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber

Jan 15, 2008

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction, food
Read in January, 2008

I just wrote a review of a book in which an extraordinary story was written in a way that made it less than completely involving. This book happily does the opposite! Ms. Abu-Jaber makes the ordinary events of her childhood extraordinary through her warm and shining writing and her empathy with her family member characters. And of course not all of her childhood is ordinary! With an American mother and Jordanian immigrant father, & a large extended family of her dad's relatives surrounding her, things are a little different even before dad uproots the family & has them all living in Jordan for a while. I can't wait to try some of the recipes, tho there are others that sound much too complicated! I've always wished I could be part of a family in which someone has the time for this kind of "all-day cooking"! Oh, especially baklava, one of my goals for this year is to learn to make baklava! Anyway - the writer's father is a character you'll remember for a long time, & overall this is a funny, sweet & involving portrait of a girl growing up in two cultures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Baklava.