Julie's Reviews > Savvy

Savvy by Ingrid Law

Oct 14, 2010

bookshelves: audiobooks, young-adult, newbery-award
Read from October 14 to 24, 2010

The Beaumont family has a secret. For generations, on their 13th birthday every Beaumont is endowed with a special magical gift, or 'savvy'. Mibs Beaumont can't wait to discover what her gift will be. Her grandfather can move mountains. Her brothers can cause storms and create electricity. Mibs is sure that her gift will be something special. But, 2 days before her birthday, her father is critically injured in an accident and lies comatose in the hospital. Mibs is certain that her undiscovered gift will be able to wake Poppa up and cure him. She is so certain that she hijacks a bus from a Bible supply company and along with her brothers and the pastor's 2 children, she goes on a journey to save her father.

I loved this book. The story was heartwarming and funny and I felt that there were so many good lessons for both kids and adults. Although the Beaumont family is endowed with some dramatic and unusual gifts, everyone has gifts that they bring with them in life. And like Mibs and the rest of her family, everyone is challenged to discover their gifts and learn how to channel them productively. Excellent story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savvy.

Lars Guthrie I loved it, too. Great story, and really liked the idea that it's not what gifts you have that mattters, but what do with them. Or as you so aptly put it, "everyone has gifts that they bring with them in life....everyone is challenged to discover their gifts and learn how to channel them productively."

Julie I picked it up because I saw YOUR great review and one of our younger customers recommended it. I'm enjoying all your reviews. You definitely have a strong awareness of what's out in the children's/young adult genre. We have a tendency to hear about the big series, but not gems like this one. Speaking of series, have you seen that there is a sequel to Savvy - I think the title is Scumble? I've just ordered it. I'm hoping that it as good as Savvy. I'm a little worried though - Savvy was perfect as a stand alone book.

Lars Guthrie Julie at All Ears wrote: "I'm enjoying all your reviews. You definitely have a strong awareness of what's out in the children's/young adult genre...."

Right back at you on this. I always read your reviews. You really keep up with what young people and adults are reading, as well as make me think about older books and classics that deserve attention, and really make the reasons for your opinions clear. I know about 'Scumble' but haven't gotten to it. I'll try. I'm just starting Rick Riordan's new one, 'The Last Hero.'