Melissa's Reviews > Bloodsucking Fiends

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

Mar 08, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: books-i-own, vampires, read-in-2011, series, thought-it-would-be-funnier-than-it
Read from March 01 to 08, 2011

Originally posted at Sweet Treats & Thrilling Tales

I picked up You Suck by Christopher Moore not realizing that it was a sequel to this book, so after finding that out I had to go and track down Bloodsucking Fiends because I really hate reading books out of order even if it turns out that you can do so.

Reading the synopsis for both books, I thought they would be a rather unique twist on vampire fiction. And it was. It's definitely more in the humor category than horror or thriller. (Vampire comedy, new genre anyone?) And I can't lie. Bloodsucking Fiends was rather pulp-y and I loved that. But the book fell rather flat for me.

In the first 100 or so pages it seemed pretty fast paced and I was enjoying it. I got some laughs and was thinking "Wow, this is going to be one amazing book if it keeps going like this." But it didn't. Instead, of the pace moving faster, it stayed the same. Most of the characters are pretty flat, although since this is a trilogy, it's possible that the characters will be more finished in the next two books. But even that would be a problem for me as I'm a firm believer of strong and fleshed out characters being introduced in book one of any series.

Jody, one of the main characters, is not only a plain jane character but I just find her hard to like. She's whiny and needy and didn't bring any humor to the book at all. She's also pretty much the only female character in the book. I will admit that I liked C. Thomas Flood (the other protagonist). Probably because he actually had some depth and had some of the funnier moments in the book. If not for Tommy and the cops that enter about a quarter of the way through, I probably would have just given up and moved on to another book.

It's not a horrible book. I just had higher expectations. I now own the trilogy so maybe I'll read the other two at a later date and give the whole trilogy a try. But I can say that Bloodsucking Fiends just was not what I thought it would and I am a little disappointed in that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodsucking Fiends.

03/01/2011 page 35