Lea's Audiobooks Hensley's Reviews > Untamed

Untamed by Elizabeth Lowell

Unabridged audiobook format - review written for Speaking of Audiobooks How We Listen Column 10/09/09:

Anne Flosnik’s lovely voice was striking and drew me in immediately but her narration lacked the necessary speech variation for many of the secondary characters. However, the heroine’s beautifully accented voice was completely distinguishable from the hero’s almost husky monotone and sometimes that’s all that counts in a romance audiobook. Recalling that Untamed was one of my favorite historical romances in 2002, I was thrilled to find it available in audio earlier this year. My enjoyment was not curbed by the narration and production, but rather the worn out Medieval formulas. Listening to Dominic’s determination to train Meg just as he tamed his peregrine sounded harsher than I recalled when reading. Regardless, it still rates a “listen to another day” since I don’t think I will ever forget how much I loved it seven years ago.

NOTE: When I listened to Untamed years ago, it was one of the few books I graded an A+ - I was excited about the book. Since writing this audio review on Untamed, I have a different opinion on why the audio version didn't work for me and that is the narrator Anne Flosnik. I have listened to a number of other Flosnik narrations since Untamed and each (some former favorites in print) has suffered greatly for it. That monotone with which Dominic speaks? And his determination to train Meg? I'm now convinced these worked as negatives since Flosnik gives Dominic no expression thereby making his actions seem relentless. I’m afraid I must also accuse her of not understanding the dynamics of the storyline nor the needs of the listener.

I no longer trust Flosnik with my heroes.

Print grade remains 5 stars +

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Untamed.