Alyssa's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, favorites, read-ebook
Read in February, 2012

Percy Jackson has been in and out of boarding schools his whole life, never failing to get kicked out before the end of each year. It's inevitable that trouble will find him--most of the time in the forms of monsters only he can see. After getting expelled when one of his teachers tries to kill him, he learns the truth about who--and what--he is, who is father really is, and finds he has a more important and powerful role in the world than he ever could have imagined.

I can't believe I have heard more about this series than I have...These books are short and for a middle-grade audience, but the author has such a distinct and great voice, and the subject matter is different than a lot of middle-grade & YAs out there, that it was so fun to read.

The first thing I liked right off the bat, other than Percy's sense of humor and sarcasm, is the role mythology plays. I'd never read a book based on mythology, but I really liked it. The author has fun with it (there's an EZDEATH lane into Hades, which is placed directly under Los Angeles), and if you know even a little about mythology, it will be fun to pick out the characters. Even if you don't know anything about mythology, it's a good way to become acquainted.

This is a fun, fast-paced, easy to read series with likable characters that I definitely suggest picking up, if you haven't read them already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

02/16/2012 page 150
40.0% "I really really like this book"