Cindy's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: Young Reader's Edition

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

F_50x66
Feb 25, 12

I haven't finished the book yet, but I am only finishing it to see what the fuss is all about. This book is so boring. It is the version for Young Adults and they deserve better writing than this. I keep wondering if something is in the adult version that is being left out of this version that would make it come to life. Are people giving it good rating because he built a school? But is it a good book? So far I am struck by how foolish he was. He gets an idea and gets a rich man to donate funds to build a school in Pakistan. He rushes out and buys every single thing he will need for the entire project and then has to find someone who will store the materials for him while he works out some details like how to get the materials across a river that has no bridge. Then he returns to America and incidentally falls in love and gets married and can hardly tear himself away from his new bride. Meanwhile some of his materials go missing in Pakistan (big surprise). He needs more money for the bridge. Back to the rich guy for more money. That's as far as I've gotten in the book. Who would be so careless with money as to buy all the materials at once instead of buying what was needed for the work at hand? Someone not spending their own money that's who. If by some miracle this book gets a lot better I will update my review. I finished the book. The writing was bad throughout. His work was admirable, but has since been discredited. See Jon Krakauer's Three Cups of Deceit and search New York Times articles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne Cindy perhaps you need to learn that an opinion on something is only valid when you have done your research. For example, did you read the book, did you finish it? Please don't comment unless you have really strong literary reasons to criticize a text.

message 2: by Cindy (last edited Feb 25, 2012 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cindy Anne wrote: "Cindy perhaps you need to learn that an opinion on something is only valid when you have done your research. For example, did you read the book, did you finish it? Please don't comment unless you h..."

Anne, thank you for your comment. I don't get to read as often as I'd like and most often it's books I am screening for my children. I did finish this book. I stand by my opinion of the writing. It was very poor. The book did disappoint me, but by the end of the book I, too, was very much affected by what he was able to accomplish and considered reading this with my children as lesson in how much one person can do. I was still struck by how irresponsible he was with other people's money and how he seemed to have succeeded in spite of himself. He seemed like a big kid. I put the book aside. Then in the last few months I read that he had been discredited. Articles appeared in the New York Times. Jon Krakauer wrote a book about him called Three Cups of Deceit about how he mishandled funds. I haven't read that book yet, but I probably will. You will proabably get to it before me! As for your opinion on my right to comment on this book, well, I think I pretty much nailed it. I trust my instincts. I think it's important not to be just pulled along by people who are good salespeople. I try to teach my children how to figure out what information they should trust and who should they believe when many people are saying different things. Doing our research is certainly one way. Sometimes all you have is your gut instinct telling you something or someone feels wrong. We have to be prepared to question people who tell us things and expect good answers. I am thinking of the people who were taken in by Bernie Madoff. I think Mortenson is a lot like Madoff. They know what people want to hear. They create a story that people are looking to believe in. Once it gets started maybe they don't even know how to stop it.