Cheri Micheletti's Reviews > The Game of Kings

The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett

Oct 14, 10

Read in June, 1970

I first read this book in 1970, and I've reread all the Lymond Chronicles several times since then. It is probably my favorite series, although the second book is, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. I realize that some people are put off by the erudite vocabulary, but frankly, I loved that. "Chatoyant", "oriflamme"--what great words. And the multiple references to medieval and pre-Renaissance songs and literature made Lymond's education and intelligence almost tangible. Dorothy Dunnett definitely is from the "show, don't tell" school of writing--in the same way, you're not told Lymond is a brilliant strategist, you get to see him organize gambits that are as hilarious as they are ingenious.

I urge readers to stick with the book through the first few chapters--I can't remember any more what it was like to not know all these characters, so it doesn't seem at all confusing to me, but friends to whom I've recommended the book have mentioned that it took a little effort to get into it. They've also agreed that it was well worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game of Kings.