Ken's Reviews > Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers

Moral Minority by Brooke Allen

Oct 22, 10

Read from October 14 to 22, 2010

Excellent examination of the religious background of the late 18th century and the beliefs over several of our most well-known founders: Franklin, Washingon, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, and Hamilton. Well-cited, good listing for further reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moral Minority.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Fidalgo Would you say this is genuinely informative or preachy-to-the-choir-y?

message 2: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken I actually thought it was quite informative. The book is pretty clear, for example, in pointing out the range of belief and non-belief...ranging from Gouverneur Morris and Thomas Jefferson (Deists at best) to George Washington (never speaking out one way or another) to Alexander Hamilton (religiously opportunistic in his earlier life, but seeking comfort in religion near the end of his life). There are ample citations for every point as well.

There's also a great chapter at the end titled "The World that Produced the Founders" that gives an overview of the Enlightenment, explanations of varying beliefs (Deism, Latitudinarianism, etc.). This chapter in particular gives some excellent context, and emphasizes the fact that the Founders were steeped in this culture rather than standard Christianity.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Fidalgo OK sold.

message 4: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken I found it on the bargain books table...I think at B&N. Great deal.