Eileen Souza's Reviews > The Lacuna

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Oct 28, 10

bookshelves: communism, north-america, world-war, historical-fiction
Read from October 14 to 28, 2010

This is the first book that I have read of Barbara Kingsolver's - it won't be the last. This was a surprisingly interesting book about a fictitious author Harrison Shepard and his life as someone who never quite fits in with the crowd around him.

Born in the US, but growing up in Mexico, Shepard winds up entangled with intriguing people - specifically Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Trotsky. Though he is a "nobody" he winds up impacting and being impacted by these people in ways he can only imagine. Later in life, he finally finds his comfort place in the Carolinas - only to find that his past follows him everywhere.

In many ways, this book reminded me of the fifth HP book, where you see the way the media and leadership in the story so easily manipulate the sheepy people, which is a clear and powerful allusion to the way our world works today. There are several historical references in this book that made me gasp because they were so similar to our own (messed up) time.

The story was excellent, the weaving of the story with history was quite good - more realistic than I expected, and the prose was well written. Overall a very good book from Barbara Kingsolver.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lacuna.