Treasa's Reviews > A Balloon for Isabel

A Balloon for Isabel by Deborah Underwood

Oct 14, 10

bookshelves: children, grades-k-2, picture-books, preschool
Read on October 14, 2010

Graduation from Kindergarten is just two days away, and Isabel is determined to have a balloon. All the other graduates will have balloons, but not the porcupines - it isn't safe for a porcupine to hold a balloon. Isabel's determination and creativity bring about a delightful resolution to this problem.

This book is just delightful. The illustrations perfectly complement the sweet, fast-paced, completely fun text. I love that Isabel doesn't give up - she is determined to have a balloon! And she isn't just doing it for herself, but for all the other porcupines, too. I LOVE the ending - it left me with a huge smile on my face. And hooray for celebrating the simple things in life - balloons really are fun. :)

(As a side note, I have to say that I think it's pretty funny that it's considered ok for the other children to have balloons around the porcupines, but not for the porcupines to hold the balloons themselves. Do the adults really think that just because the porcupines aren't holding the balloons that no balloon will touch one of their quills? Seriously?)

Lovely book. I will definitely recommend it to people who come to my library, looking for a good picture book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Balloon for Isabel.