Jessica's Reviews > Killing Rocks

Killing Rocks by D.D. Barant

Jan 12, 11

Read from January 11 to 12, 2011

Finally got my copy of D D Barant's Killing Rocks and managed to squeeze it in this week in between my ARC readings. And it wasn't too bad.
My only problem is the timespan between releases. It's getting to be too long, for I read too many other books during that time and I have a hard time trying to remember the details of the last book, so I talk a little while to piece this and that together. It's nothing wrong on the author's part, it just is what it is.

Basically Jace is still on her mission to find the serial killer Stoker and get the sorcerer, Asher, to send her home without there being a major time gap. For he could send her back home, to her world, 30 years later if he so chose, or he could send her back a few hours later. Depending on his mood.

Things get complicated this time around when Jace is kidnapped and ends up teaming up with some unlikely allies in order to get Stoker, who happens to have another enemy after him as well, Jace's new partner.

It's hard to determine what to talk about here without giving away spoilers, so I'll pretty much leave it at that. Some problems I had with the book was some of the language, mostly when it got into science like talk and historical references (references in their different worlds) it became hard to focus at times. But overall it wasn't too strenuous.

Jace is quite a character. She has a lot of attitude and tends to try to lighten the tense situations with sarcasm. Which was a sort of comic relief at the time.

There wasn't any romantic tension or romance at all involved in this one. It is shelved in horror so romance probably might not play a part in the series at all. Not sure yet.

Overall I give it a 3/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing Rocks.