Jan's Reviews > A Peach of a Murder

A Peach of a Murder by Livia J. Washburn

Sep 02, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: culinary-mystery, mystery, includes-recipes, southern-mystery, southern-setting, texas-setting, teachers-fiction
Read from August 28 to 31, 2014

3 1/2 Stars. The annual peach festival in Weatherford, Texas is disrupted by two unexpected deaths that turn out to be murders. Phyllis Newsom is not only put out because the Peach Cook-off judging is disrupted but because one of her good friends and boarders is the chief suspect. Despite warnings from just about everyone, Phyllis is determined to find the real murderer.

This story about retired school teachers who share a house has been compared to The Golden Girls and I see a bit of that. Mostly I see some very southern ladies and gentlemen with old fashioned values and that is not a bad thing. There were a few times I wanted to shake Phyllis for being so forgiving, but I have known ladies like her so I just let it ride. The mystery is pretty good and the town and characters are fun. It does move a bit slow at the beginning. The age of the characters may make it more interesting to mature readers. I will probably read the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Peach of a Murder.

08/28/2014 marked as: currently-reading