Joanna's Reviews > You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know

You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know by Heather Sellers

620387
Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: biography-memoir, nonfiction, bookish-2011-summer, rws-2011-fall, audiobooks, 2011-read
Read from September 13 to 22, 2011

An interesting memoir that combines an explanation of the author's prosopagnosia (face-blindness) with some general childhood stories and her description of figuring out (as an adult) that she suffered from severe face-blindness.

The narrator for the unabridged audiobook did an adequate reading of the text, making it sound personal, but not overdramatic. I stayed involved in the story partly because of Karen White's smooth reading.

Overall, the childhood stories are practically beyond belief. In some ways, these portions reminded me of The Glass Castle -- a frank telling, without much judgment. Still, it's amazing that no outside people intervened as young Heather (and her mostly unmentioned brother) were bouncing between their paranoid schizophrenic mother and their alcoholic father.

Unfortunately, the stories jumped around so much in time and space that it was sometimes hard to see the narrative as a whole. This may be intentional -- the author's life was certainly chaotic -- but I found it detracted from my enjoyment of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know.