Simone's Reviews > Once Upon a Crime

The Sisters Grimm, Once Upon A Crime

Author: Michael Buckley
Publisher and Date: 2007
Ages 9 and up

Summary: This is the fourth book out of the series. Sabrina and Daphne Grimm grew up in New York City until their parents died and they were sent to Ferryport Landing. They have taken on their family heritage; fairy tale detectives. The Grimm sisters leave their fairy tale neighbors in Ferryport and head back to New York to save their fairy friend, Puck. When the Grimm sisters, Granny Relda, Mr. Cannis, and Mr. Hamstead run into trouble, their human forms quickly transcend into their true fairy tale forms. Along the way, the sisters quickly learn about the fairy community in the city. Will the sisters save their dear friend Puck???

Review: What’s fun about this series is it contains magic, fairy tale characters, and a relatable story about two sisters sent to live with their Grandmother. As I was reading this story, I was able to visualize magical characters living an everyday life in New York. A lot of students who enjoy fairy tales and fantasy would love reading this book because it has a modern day twist to it. I would recommend this book to students who like adventure. As a teacher I would have students compare and contrast the fairy tale characters to the original fairy tale characters readers are familiar with. Also, this is a series that students can pick up at any point without being completely lost!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Crime.