Lora Innes's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

2196296
Feb 09, 11

This book really surprised me. Because it was Young Adult literature, I anticipated a story about a girl who decides to fight the system, and rallies the other members of the Hunger Games to join her cause. Instead, I got an almost dark piece of literature exploring themes that I've only seen explored in books like Dawn and A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier--surely not young adult fiction! The entire series covers the effects of a girl used as a pawn in a civil war--as she's used and exploited by one side or the other, the whole time fighting to protect the people she loves and ultimately losing herself in the process.

I was reading holocaust survivors's testimonies when I was a young adult, so I suppose the subject matter isn't inappropriate. It was just utterly unexpected. We could use more thought provoking novels like this for teens, and less books just about the inevitable drama of being in high school. I highly recommend the entire series--whether you like young adult literature or not. It covered a lot of honest themes about war that I think history lovers would connect with as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.