Lesley's Reviews > Paths Not Taken

4204126
Oct 09, 14

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in April, 2010

Another great installment in the Nightside series. It picks up right where the last book left off, continuing the drama of John’s long, lost mom wanting to destroy the Nightside. It’s very dark, as usual, but more depressing than the other books because of its focus on the characters’ emotional issues. There’s also more romance, though it hardly feels romancy when the pair in question can’t touch each other, are extremely scarred both physically and emotionally, and almost never put down their shotgun. Regardless, I enjoyed going deeper into the characters personal lives, and I like that no one is entirely good or entirely bad. Everyone lives in shades of gray, especially John, whose choices in this book can be viewed as either cruel and selfish or as necessary evils in pursuit of a noble purpose - or maybe a little of both. I was also excited to finally have some of the many mysteries cleared up even though the story is definitely not wrapped up. Green drops a huge clue towards the end that’s clearly the answer to how everything will be fixed, but the protagonist has yet to realize it. I’m looking forward to reading book six to find out what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paths Not Taken.