Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Nomansland

Nomansland by Lesley Hauge

Nov 29, 10

bookshelves: temple, apocalyptic, dystopia, mutants, mythology-misc, mythology-biblical, near-future, political, war, young-adult
Read from November 13 to 28, 2010

I had a hard time getting into this book. For one thing, the cover is very misleading. If you are expecting something action packed, something with archery and horses as a focus or something that involves actual conflict; you won't really find it in this book despite the cover hinting at those very things. As for the actual book, it wouldn't really have been young adult if it weren't for the repeated mentions of artificial insemination and several statements about the desire for outsiders to have young, nubile Novices in exchange for drugs. I guess it really is pretty much young adult despite there not being much violence (aside from horse slaughter and at least one girl does get killed/commits suicide) or language. It was probably the lack of much language that threw me, but this is a very insular society that also policies itself very harshly. I also had issue with the fact that the ending seemed like a set up for a second book. With the way this one went, I wouldn't pick up a sequel. There were huge lulls in activity and most of the action was so clandestine as to almost not be happening. Also the thing with the Found objects and the Patrol just drove me a bit nutty. Well, that and I kept falling asleep trying to read it because Keller wasn't a very engaging narrator.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nomansland.