PurplyCookie's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Oct 14, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, 1st-in-a-series, book-series, assassins, personal-faves, fave-series
Recommended to PurplyCookie by: K.D. Absolutely
Read on November 07, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

”Graceling” takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power. Readers meet her as she is rescuing the father of the Lienid king, who has been abducted. The reasons for his capture are part of a tightening plot that Katsa unravels and resolves, with the help of Prince Po, the captive's grandson.

The meeting with Po will prompt her to make a decision that will change the course of her life and her world as she and Po learn more of their Grace powers and of treachery and madness that lay within the corridors of another kingdom that will threaten the already fragile political stability of the seven kingdoms.

The romance was captivating. Even though it is obvious where the romance is going from the very first encounter, it was skillfully written. Another aspect of the best romance plots that this book has in spades is that the lovers act as catalysts for important emotional growth in each other. At multiple key turning points in the story, Po does what no one else has ever been able to do for Katsa. He helps her realize that she has the freedom, and responsibility, to choose exactly how she will use her Grace. And at a very key point in the story for Po, Katsa acts as a catalyst for Po, too, helping him make a crucial life-changing choice as well. The magical elements of the story are not overwhelming, but alter reality just enough to make for a fun, fantastical world. I found myself reading this book in one sitting, and I was sorry to see it end.

It sounds like a typical fantasy novel and to a large degree it is, but ”Graceling” is so confidently and smoothly written that it felt fresh and new. The action and pacing of the plot moved at a brisk clip that I never felt bored. Cashore also made good use of dialogue in that it was appropriate to the station of the characters. She also made a good decision in resisting the urge to make her characters speak in a modern rhythm. Instead, the dialogue had a classic style that gave it a timeless feel.
Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.
This book went way past all my expectations. Truly ”Graceling” is an amazing story of an individual's struggle to grow and find her place in the world.

More of Purplycookie’s Reviews @: http://www.goodreads.com/purplycookie

Book Details:

Title Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1)
Author Kristin Cashore
Reviewed By Purplycookie
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

11/06/2010 page 65

message 1: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I got a copy of this book from BS Waltermart E. Rod at P125! Hardbound and almost like new! FYI in case you are planning to buy brand new!

PurplyCookie Oh wow, swerte mo nman!
It's round P300+ in the local bkstores. Hmm, guess gotta go hunting at BS then. Thanks for the tip! :)

message 3: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Last week, I was in BS Waltermart E. Rodriguez and I still saw one copy.

PurplyCookie Oh the pressure to go book buying hehe. Thanks K.D.!

message 5: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I am planning to drop by there (BS Waltermart E. Rod) sometime this week, possibly tomorrow. If you are just around Ortigas, you can drop by my office building (Orient Square) or meet you at Podium. Let me know if you want me to buy that copy for you. You can pay me when I hand over the book to you. Let me know.

PurplyCookie Thanks K.D. for getting me this book! :)
Will contribute it to our bk discussion during the next possible mini-meet :)

message 7: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Edmunds Wow, swerte mo KD. :) Saw this at Powerbooks but resisted urge to get it. My reading list goes on... :(

PurplyCookie Caz: Saw hard bound copies of this and the sequel but at Book Sale Pampanga na

message 9: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Edmunds Purplycookie wrote: "Caz: Saw hard bound copies of this and the sequel but at Book Sale Pampanga na"

Yes ang lapit. Magpatulong kay Paige sa Charmed and just orb me there. ;)

PurplyCookie No haha! What you can do is to ask Book Sale if they can have it transferred to a location nearer to you or just ask them if they have a copy in any of their MNL branches

message 11: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Edmunds Sana easy like that but I don't think they have a centralized database and can check which store which book. Chambahan na lang.

Which is ok by me because the more I discover books both from here on the site and from my frequent Book Sale trips, my reading list just gets longer and more varied. And like Alice in Wonderland's elusive and cryptic caterpillar, it beckons to me every single time and I know if I don't stop, it will grow longer. LOL!

message 12: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I agree with Caz. Walang list ang BS unlike FB or PB. Caz, I can lend you my copy if you can give me your mailing address, I can send it to you via LBC.