Natalie's Reviews > Ship Breaker

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: adventure-fiction, north-america, seagoing-fiction, speculative-fiction, weirdfamilyshit, ya
Read from August 26 to September 04, 2011

This book wears a whirling cloak of action and brings to life a unique speculative setting, while underneath it offers readers an introduction/exposure to all the main existentialist concepts.

I am going to miss being able to turn to this story during my daily drives. I'll miss how it conjures up ways to examine ideas of destiny, decision, fate, present and past, belonging and angst. How many YA books/audiobooks really offer that opportunity? How many books of any kind offer so much to the reader?

______________

So, now you're wondering "Why not five stars"?

Two root words:
blossom
explode

All the variations on the above root words: blossomed, blossoming, exploding, exploded. 'nuf said?

Lazy editor esp of the last several pages?

NO MORE blossoming pain please.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship Breaker.

08/26/2011
20.0% "I have been listening to this for a couple days in the car. It is getting better ;)"
08/31/2011
60.0% "So odd to juxtapose time spent w/this dystopian coming of age novel in audio-book format about growing up in a salvage culture with the character of the salvage captain in Wilbur Smith's Hungry as the Sea which I have started reading in the evenings -really more of what would normally be an airplane book for me. Two books that I am sure were not meant to be read simultaneously -at least not by me!"
09/01/2011
70.0% "There's a scene in this book where the characters wade out to some docks via a bouy marked channel -they way they tire and how that is described is part of what makes this book above the ordinary!"