Kristen's Reviews > The Attenbury Emeralds

liked it
bookshelves: from-the-publisher, we-own
Recommended to Kristen by: Amazon Vine
Read from December 01, 2010 to January 12, 2011

In the Attenbury Emeralds, Lord Peter Wimsey revisits his first case, retelling it to his wife, writer Harriet Vane, and then solving a modern twist.

The original Lord Peter books were written by Dorothy Sayers, one of the best mystery writers of the 20th century and beloved by many readers. Considered By adopting her characters, Jill Paton Walsh takes on the very difficult role of living up to Sayers' standard. In moments, she almost reaches her inspiration.

As a modern writer, she doesn't have the grace, tone and background of classically-educated Sayers and it shows. Overall, the dialogue was a stretch, the writing uneven, and the historical context was not quite as strong as it could be. There are a few points where the stars align and I almost believed I was reading Sayers again, but not often enough. However, the story was fun and easy to read and that is a very redeeming quality.

I'd recommend the original Sayers books to any reader. If you can't get enough of Lord Peter, Harriet and Bunter, you might enjoy these as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Attenbury Emeralds.