Angela's Reviews > Stuck on Earth

Stuck on Earth by David Klass

Oct 15, 10

bookshelves: ya, library-book, sci-fi-fantasy
Read on October 13, 2010

What a delightful read! Now, I am sure I am reading far more into this book then I should, but hey that's the beautiful of a story. It is all up to the reader's interpretation!

Here's my take on the book and why I liked it so much.

Stuck on Earth is the story of Ketchvar the Third, a snail like alien from another planet who has been tasked with a mission. The mission: To decide whether or not Earth should be destroyed. And how will he decide: By inhabiting a human's body (Tom Filber, to be exact) and living as an Earthling.

At least, that is the story on the surface. Your average SciFi-cliche: peace loving alien comes to Earth and learns that we ain't so bad. But the real story, in my mind, is Tom's. A boy who has been torment, abused, and mocked his whole life. A boy that doesn't seem to fit in. Who is called Alien by his peers. Who just might be escaping from reality.... And that's where the lines blurred for me, and this seemingly simple straight forward story became something more. And, I must admit, just like Ketchvar, I'm not sure what this book's reality is. Frankly, it makes me adore the story even more.

Klass's sets a fanatics tone, his plot's twists and turns kept me from putting the novel down, his characters' growth were heartwarming, and while the story tackled some common themes (abuse, broken families, environmental issues, bullies, etc.) it was done in a witty and interesting way.

This is not an earth-shattering read, just a really great story told extremely well, in my humble opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuck on Earth.

10/14/2010 page 24