Melissa's Reviews > Where Is Catkin?

Where Is Catkin? by Janet Lord

2451978
Oct 13, 2010

bookshelves: caldecott-11, 6-dialogic-reading, 6-narrative-skills, animals, guessing, lost-and-found, nature, pets, picturebooks
Read in October, 2010

Wow, this is gorgeous!

Maybe because I've been spending so much time in baby storytime the last few years, but I find myself really drawn lately to books for the younger listeners. This one has a classic repetitive pattern to the text, yet has a satisfying ending, too. I think it's pretty hard to set up such a strong rhythm like that and still find a way out of the pattern in order to bring the text to an organic close. And of course it's a perfect book to share and talk about. "Where is Catkin?" leads itself naturally to "What else do you see?" and "What's going to happen next?"

The colors are so rich. I love that every square inch of each page is filled with detail, yet your eye is still nicely directed through each wonderfully-balanced spread. I had fun discovering the "extra" animals and bugs Paschkis added to every page, and I know kids will, too--in addition to discovering how the cricket, frog, mouse, snake and bird become part of the border. I like how the border moves from its spot on the top and bottom of the page when the pattern of the book shifts from Catkin chasing the animals to Catkin getting stuck in the tree...the border is in a different place on every page until the end, when it wraps up Amy and Catkin just like Amy wraps Catkin in her arms. And the colors! Did I mention the colors?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Is Catkin?.