Erikajean Jean's Reviews > The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Oct 20, 2010

liked it
Read from October 13 to 20, 2010

This is another book in a series.... that I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to reading. Not that the book wasn't good, but because I'm not that committed. I get too bored reading the same thing for to long. (...and I just found out the book was turned into an HBO series that kind of looks good... does anyone know if it is still on? and anyplace you can watch HBO shows for free?!)

Anyway, Back to the book. It is set in Africa, so it took me a couple chapters to get used to the names and whatnot. A lot of them were very similar so I had to read carefully. Once I got used to it though, I was fine.

The book was basically about Mma Ramotswe and how she came to start her own detective agency. She sort of breaks the mold when it comes to detective work, being a woman and all... You follow a bunch of little cases through out the book, with one major one lurking in the background. I loved reading about how she came to the truth in each one and how bold she was with people sometimes. I liked "watching" her solve the story more than trying to figure things out myself. I guess I don't really qualify this a s a mystery book. Just a book about a lady in the mystery business :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

10/13/2010 page 31
13.0% "Took me a few pages to like it. Ironically the day all the miners are rescued I'm reading about a character's father's description of how horrible this mines in South Africa are."
show 3 hidden updates…