West Region,'s Reviews > Does My Head Look Big In This?

Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

U 50x66
Mar 12, 08

bookshelves: high_school_08, realisticfiction, highschool

Does My Head Look Big in This? – Randa Abdel-Fattah

“It hit me when I was power walking on the treadmill at home, watching a Friends rerun for about the nineteenth time.
It’s that scene when Jennifer Aniston is dressed in a hideous bridesmaid’s outfit at her ex’s wedding. Everyone’s making fun of her and she wants to run away and hide. Then she suddenly gets the guts to jump onstage and sing some song called ‘Copacabana,’ whatever that means. I’m telling you, this rush of absolute power and conviction surged through me….
I was ready to wear the hijab.
That’s right. Rachel from Friends inspired me. The sheikhs will be holding emergency conferences.”

Many people talk about diversity, tolerance, and freedom of religion… but how many people truly practice it? In Does My Head Look Big in This?, sixteen year old Amal is prepared for stares when she decides to don the hijab, an Islamic covering for women. People think she is a fanatic, that her parents made her do it, anything but what it truly is… a religious expression donned by an ordinary teenage girl.

If you have ever felt different, or have felt intrigued by displays of courage by everyday people, you will love Does My Head Look Big in This? By Randa Abdel-Fattah.

Grades 7-13
Coming of Age
Submitted by Kyla Kothman, January 15, 2008

2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Does My Head Look Big In This?.