Kitten Blue's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: favourites

'"You’re beautiful and sad," I said finally, not looking at him when I did. "Just like your eyes. You’re like a song that I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again."'

Grace’s description of Sam pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about Maggie Stiefvater’s entire novel. Although it has the perfect ending, I can promise you that Shiver will bring you to tears. This story is a haunting one. It’s not because I’ve been busy that it’s taken me a week to sit myself down and write this review; there’s just something so very melancholic about Shiver that’s had me keeping it as far out of my mind as possible. It’s beautiful – absolutely stunning – but almost unbearably sad.

Shiver is about werewolves … with a tragic twist. They’re human when it’s hot outside and change shape when the temperature begins to cool, then live as wolves in the forest until the warm days return. The shifting depends on the weather and is completely outside of their control … but here’s the real downer … after several years, they no longer shift back to human form in the summer … so they’re not werewolves as such, but rather humans who are slowly becoming wolves.

Now, Sam … oh my goodness … I just want to pull him out from in between the pages and hug what has to be one of the sweetest guys ever written until he’s BLUE in the face … let me tell you, this boy poses some *serious* competition for Wicked Lovely's Seth!! :o Sam rescues Grace after she’s dragged into the forest by his hungry pack, then the two of them spend six years watching each other … Grace on her tyre swing, Wolf Sam at the edge of the forest bordering her garden … she was bitten during the attack and he’s waiting for her to change … Why hasn’t she changed?! … while she merely takes comfort in his presence. Six years. They pine over each other for Six Freaking Years.

Wolf Sam never turned human this summer, which means his time’s up … but he’s granted a reprieve when he’s shot and somehow forces a shift, although the weather’s cooling into winter, then passes out on the deck of Grace’s house, where he knows he’ll be safe. Grace finds and looks after Sam, then – well – sets him up in her bedroom, where the connection between the two of them slowly becomes love. However, their relationship’s bittersweet … it’s cold outside and the temperature’s only DROPPING … Sam’s time is almost up … and he’ll never be Sam again.

… this is *SAD PANDA* stuffs … :o

RATING: 5/5 … Shiver will most likely have you bawling your eyeballs out, but this absolutely lovely story is definitely worth a little heartache …

P.S. Linger!! Forever!! A.W.E.S.O.M.E.N.E.S.S. (!!)

P.P.S. You can read more of my reviews HERE!! (",)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes Kitten Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're beautiful and sad," I said finally, not looking at him when I did. "Just like your eyes. You're like a song that I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again." For a long moment there was only the whirring sound of the tires on the road, and then Sam said softly, "Thank you.”

“What do you eat?"
"Baby bunnies." She narrowed her eyes, so I grinned and said, "Adult bunnies, too. I'm an equal-opportunity bunny-eater.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I stood on my toes and stole a soft kiss from his lips. "Surprise attack," I said.
Sam leaned down and kissed me back, his mouth lingering on mine, teeth grazing my lower lip, making me shiver. "Surprise attack back."
"Sneaky," I said, my voice breathier than I intended.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You two are too cute,” the counter girl said, setting two cups piled with whipped cream on the counter. She had a sort of lopsided, open smile that made me think she laughed a lot. “Seriously. How long have you been going out?”
Sam let go of my hands to get his wallet and took out some bills. “Six years.”
I wrinkled my nose to cover a laugh. Of course he would count the time that we’d been two entirely different species.
Whoa.” Counter girl nodded appreciatively. “That’s pretty amazing for a couple your age."
Sam handed me my hot chocolate and didn’t answer. But his yellow eyes gazed at me possessively—I wondered if he realized that the way he looked at me was far more intimate than copping a feel could ever be.
I crouched to look at the almond bark on the bottom shelf in the counter. I wasn’t quite bold enough to look at either of them when I admitted, “Well, it was love at first sight.”
The girl sighed. “That is just so romantic. Do me a favor, and don’t you two ever change. The world needs more love at first sight.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“My chest ached, my body speaking a language my head didn't quite understand.

I waited.

But Grace, the only person in the world I wanted to know me, just ran a wanting finger over the cover of one of the new hardcovers and walked out of the store without ever realising I was there, right within reach.”
tags: love

Maggie Stiefvater
“If that moment had been a real thing, it would've been a butterfly, flapping and fluttering toward the sun.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'd found heaven and grabbed it as tightly as I could, but it was unraveling, an insubstantial thread sliding between my fingers, too fine to hold.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Face flushed, I shook my head and stared at my white-knuckled grip on the bed. Of all my pet peeves, condescending adults were probably at the top of the list.”

“Sensitive," I tried.

Sam translated: "Squishy."

"Creative."

"Dangerously emo."

"Thoughtful."

"Feng shui."

I laughed so hard I snorted. "How do you get feng shui out of 'thoughtful'?"

"You know, because in feng shui, you arrange furniture and plants and stuff in thoughtful ways." Sam shrugged. "To make you calm. Zenlike. Or something. I'm not one hundred percent sure how it all works, besides the thoughtful part.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“There was no sun; there was no light. I was dying. I couldn't remember what the sky looked like. But I didn't die. I was lost to a sea of cold, and then I was reborn into a world of warmth.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“That night, like every other night since I’d met her, I curled Grace into my arms, listening to her parents’ muffled movements in the living room. They were like busy little brainless birds, fluttering in and out of their nest at all hours of the day or night, so involved in the pleasure of nest building that they hadn’t noticed that it had been empty for years.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sam laughed, a funny, self-deprecating laugh. "You did read a lot. And spent too much time just inside the kitchen window, where I couldn't see you very well."

"And not enough time mostly naked in front of my bedroom window?" I teased.

Sam turned bright red. "That," he said, "is so not the point of this conversation.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I remember being intrigued by the idea of school-in-a-box, just-add-water-and-Sam.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Folded in my arms you're a butterfly in reverse
you're giving up your wings and inheriting my curse
you're letting go of
me
you're letting go”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sam came around the side of the car and stopped dead when he saw me. “Oh my God, what is THAT?” I used my thumb and middle finger to flick the multicolored pom-pom on top of my head. “In my language, we call it a HAT. It keeps my ears warm.” “Oh my God,” Sam said again, and closed the distance between us. He cupped my face in his hands and studied me. “It’s horribly cute.” He kissed me, looked at the hat, and then he kissed me again. I vowed never to lose the pom-pom hat.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I watched the edges of the leaves slowly unfold, fluttering in the breeze. "How long did you wait?" It would've been unbearably romantic if he'd had he courage to look into my face and say it, but instead, he dropped his eyes to the ground and scuffed his boot in the leaves- countless possibilities for happy days- on the ground. "I haven't stopped.”
tags: love

Maggie Stiefvater
“Hello, Grace's parents. I'm Grace's boyfriend. Please notice the chaste distance between us. I am very responsible and have never had my tongue in your daughter's mouth.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, a tiny, bloody angel in the snow, and they were going to destroy her.”