Ruby Hollyberry's Reviews > Don't Care High

Don't Care High by Gordon Korman

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: children-s, favorites

Of all the author's books, this may be the funniest. And that is not to slang I Want to Go Home! or the Bruno & Boots books, which are also funny enough to make you inhale a mouthful of raisins. It is a story of New York City and a how a boy from a small town in Canada gets used to all the stimulation and variety. Some of my favorite parts are the neighbors in the high-rise opposite his apartment and the eccentric things he can see them doing (nothing raunchier than a guy who every day puts on a rabbit suit and eats carrots for dinner and nothing scarier than a circus-type fire-swallower practicing his craft). His high school of course is a main character - there is some kind of curse of apathy on it that no one can say how it happened to begin with. The only person in it who cares at all about anything to do with the school is the poor well-meaning guidance counselor, one of the funniest and most sympathetic characters. I can't list all the hilarious individuals who inhabit this school as it would take ten pages, but each is a little miracle of kookoo. The protagonist, along with a friend, manages with some legerdemain to hoodwink the student population into turning around and once they care, there is NO STOPPING THEM. Probably about the most sheer fun I've ever found in one book. And in case parents wonder, these books are extremely clean. The grooviest space cadet in school is addicted to licorice sticks and when you owe the school "gangster" a favor, he wants food in return. Pie, or maybe a melon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Care High.