Sweetp-1's Reviews > The Bone People

The Bone People by Keri Hulme

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: favs, a-nz-connection, book-loving-kiwis
Read from April 19 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

A reread of one of my favourite books for a challenge in the book loving kiwis group. I was going to take it slow and savour but I ended up reading 400 pages of it today and that is 400 pages of densely packed small type. It's currently 6.30pm and I've only just emerged from my book haze to chuck some fish fingers in the oven for the kids. The Bone People once again cast it's spell and to struggle was futile.

It was interesting to reread this -I must have read this for the first time over a decade ago - and to clearly remember passages and descriptions. Interestingly there were also whole swathes that I had forgotten (or perhaps tried hard to erase from my memory). I didn't remember the extent of the brutality for instance.

The book remains a 5 star read for me,a haunting beautiful angst filled break your heart read. A memorable and unique blend of mythology, poetry, and fiction that remains in a class of it's own.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone People.

04/20/2012 page 220
49.0% "Remembering how much I loved this book. Hauntingly beautiful angst. I want to take it slow and savor but am heavily invested, again. half the book finished already."