Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)'s Reviews > Death's Excellent Vacation

Death's Excellent Vacation by Charlaine Harris

Oct 16, 10

Read on October 12, 2010

This book was a library impulse-grab. I saw it on the new releases shelf as I was passing through and grabbed it immediately when I saw that there were a new Sookie Stackhouse (#10.1) and Night Huntress (#4.5) stories included.

There are thirteen short stories by different authors in this book. Please be aware that I read only the stories by Charlaine Harris and Jeaniene Frost. I planned to read the others, but as you all know, I'm no fan of short stories and another book caught my attention in the meantime. Imagine that!

Charlaine Harris' short story Two Blondes is my favorite Sookie short story yet. Sookie and Pam are on what Pam calls a short vacation but what is really an errand for Eric. Is it just me, or does Sookie run a lot of errands for Eric? The girls get into some trouble, as is expected, and end up auditioning as dancers for a gentlemans' club. Two Blondes was tons of fun!

Jeaniene Frost's short story occurs after the events of Destined For an Early Grave (Night Huntress #4). Cat and Bones are on a job as a favor to Uncle Don. They are protecting a young heiress from supernatural threats, and meet up with Justina along the way. Justina is recovering from the death of Rodney and being turned into a vampire. I just love these characters and Frost's world!

Both of these short stories were great fun; however, they left me wanting more, as all short stories do. For fans of the series, they are not to be missed! I would not read these short stories if you have not read the books in order yet, as they do contain spoilers to the previous books.

Just One Gripe:
The same as all short stories---I just want more!

The Best Thing About This Book:
Getting a sneak peak into the worlds in between novel releases.

Appropriate for a younger audience:
Score:
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 3/5
Setting/Imagery: 4/5
Originality: 4/5
Ending: 4/5
Total Score: 20/25

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's Excellent Vacation.