Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > Feeling Sorry for Celia

Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty

Oct 15, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, really-liked, addicted-to-ya
Read from October 12 to 13, 2010

Jaclyn Moriarty does it again! I swear the day I discovered epistolary novels was probably the 9th best day of my life (there are a few other good days that I won't bore you with) (OK, one of those was when I got my Kindle!) Anywho, I liked this one! It's not better than my favorite book of hers, Year of Secret Assignments, but it was still just as good. Hmmmm, better than Bindy, I'd say.

This one is mainly about Elizabeth. She's a good friend. I do think Celia was kind of crazy. It was good that she had a friend like Libby to ground her even a little bit. It was nice seeing Elizabeth grow and mature and begin to accept herself for what she is. I liked reading Christina's stories even though her family seems crazy, they seemed like fun. Maddie? Oh wow. Some of those teens sure can be hyper.

Her twists are always good and unexpected. Usually in books, I do Not do a good job at guessing what will happen or how things will turn out. This one was no exception. I was wrong 100% across the board. Oh well! I thought it was good. Though I would have liked to have read more about the confrontation! We got left out on that part.

I love the way that Jaclyn makes her notes so believable. It's really like real people are writing these letters. The letters that all of those organizations wrote to Elizabeth were good, too.

I loved the notes from her mom. They really made me smile and at times, laugh. I liked how she gave her a "challenge" with each note, even if they all had ulterior motives. Jaclyn did a great job at making her mom sound like a mom.

Her books have inspired me to write notes to my kids. Of course, my kids aren't old enough to read (unless it's Hop on Pop, hey we're still learning to read here). Anywho, I plan to write things for them to think about and reflections and just general notes. One of the notes will be:"Hey Kid, if you see this wake up!! I made breakfast so wake up!! Are you awake? If you're awake please read this note from the beginning!" Anywho, that's my planned note, it's still a work in progress obviously. I like to be prepared. I think that will be important. Who knows what technology will be like when they get older. And these will be hand written notes, not the text message/email newfangled nonsense. (hopefully!)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feeling Sorry for Celia.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I loved this one Peep! Great idea about the notes (when your kids can read:)