Katrina V.'s Reviews > Old City Hall

Old City Hall by Robert Rotenberg

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: mystery, international
Read from October 15 to 29, 2010

I always enjoy reading mysteries, but I never think to pick them up when I’m looking for new books to try. I love getting a good recommendation for one, though, and when my co-worker Tom (who runs the Whodunit Mystery Book Club at North Regional Library) said his group really liked Robert Rotenberg’s debut novel, Old City Hall, I gladly picked up a copy.

It’s part legal thriller, part murder mystery, and follows the stories of the famous radio personality accused of murdering his wife, the policeman who worked the case, the prosecutor waiting to make his big break, and the defense lawyer who can’t get anything out of her client. Seeing the story from all angles makes it feel very Law and Order (on purpose, methinks) and makes for a fast-paced read that kept me on my toes. Being set in Toronto made this book feel dissimilar to things I have read before – the foreignness of the city imparted extra interest for me.

It definitely reads like it’s been written by a lawyer turned novelist (and it has) but I don’t mean that in a bad way – especially for a debut author I found this to be a fun and exciting read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old City Hall.