Holly's Reviews > Ascension

Ascension by Lauren Dane

Oct 13, 10

bookshelves: 144-books-in-2010, read-in-2010, october-2010
Read in October, 2010

I've had this book in my TBR for ever and ever. I bought it ages ago because I liked some of Dane's stuff (I'd just begun reading her then..my love affair hadn't fully boomed yet) but set it aside because I broke up with PNR. Last night I was in the mood, however, and I'm glad I picked it up. It was a great, quick read.

Kari is definitely the star of this novel. Although I loved her and Andreas together, I felt like he was really superfluous. He didn't stand out to me in any way. As a matter of fact, I felt like I connected with some of the male members of the pack more than I did him. He sort of just stood around, growling and making eyes at Kari. She did all the heavy lifting.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I actually really enjoyed having the female protag be the center of the novel for once. I really enjoyed the pack dynamics and the overall story. Watching Kari come into her own and find her place in the pack was wonderful.

I did find her transformation from skeptic to believer to happen kind of quickly. She went from TOTAL DISBELIEF to TOTAL ACCEPTANCE too quickly, IMO. Another chapter of her coming around would have helped. As it happens early in the novel I was able to set it aside.

Overall this was a very satisfying read. I'm looking forward to diving into the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascension.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori I loved how kickass Kari was. And how she totally ruled that house with an iron fist. Loads of chuckles along the way.