Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Mostly Good Girls

Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales

Oct 23, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-debut, ya, contemporary, humor, read-in-2010, own
Read from October 16 to 19, 2010

Leila Sales is absolutely hilarious. Violet’s travails through prep school are refreshingly witty and unabashedly honest. Violet is the type of person that you can’t help but want to befriend. She’s kind, funny, and smart. She knows who she is and what she wants and she’s also completely loyal to her best friend Katie.

Violet and Katie go through a lot in their junior year. From Harry Potter tours to getting drunk for the first time, these two are the picture of best friends. Their ups and downs are the backbone of the book, not their romantic adventures or the insane pressure from school. The two girls carry the story together, living, learning, and growing up.

Violet is well-developed and impossible not to like. Katie is almost the complete opposite of Violet, but they make quite the pair. Violet and Katie don’t interact too much with the male species, so when they do, it is more than amusing. That, and Violet’s obsession with Scott Walsh, the hottest boy at their brother school. Violet and Katie’s banter had me cracking up laughing and wishing I had been so witty in high school.

Mostly Good Girls
Opening line(s): Poor Mr. Thompson. Mr. Thompson is my precalc teacher, and he is also the only male at the Westfield School. ~ pg. 3

Favorite lines(there are so many to choose from – Here are two passages):
Half of me was like, I will say two words to these boys, and then I will obviously trip over a backpack and knock myself unconscious and be the laughingstock of the entire Westfield School.

But then the other half of me countered,
Sometimes, you must take the bull by the horns! If there are boys in need of a school tour, then by God you must get your act together and go and give them that tour. You must make it happen. ~ pg. 212-213

And this one:

If I were Julia, I would have been like, “So sorry, family, the death of Grandpop is really sad – but I’m sure he would have wanted me to stay in Boston this holiday season, with Scott Walsh.” And the ghost of my grandfather would have appeared just to confirm, “Yes, my dear granddaughter. Stay with Scott Walsh. For he is God’s gift to womankind.” ~ pg. 245

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mostly Good Girls.