Holly's Reviews > Daisy's Back In Town

Daisy's Back In Town by Rachel Gibson

This is a hard novel to read at times. The secret baby plot is a lot harder to swallow here, because the baby in question isn't really a baby - he's 15. For me, it's easy to forgive and forget when the heroine doesn't tell the hero right away about a baby, but only if it's cleared up early on. It's a lot harder to justify after 15 years of silence.

I remember having an argument with a friend about Daisy's actions several years ago. She couldn't accept that Daisy had kept her son a secret for so long. I, on the other hand, understood Daisy's reasons for not telling him in the beginning. I also understood how the longer she went without telling, the easier it was not to. I can't say I agree with it or condone it, but I understand.

On the night of Jack's parent's funeral, Daisy and Steven confronted him to tell him they'd gotten married - leaving out the part about the baby.

15 years go by. Steven dies and Daisy realizes she must tell Jack the truth about their son. She goes back to Lovett, TX (her hometown, where Jack still lives) to tell Jack the news, leaving Nathan (her son) behind in Seattle. All along Daisy always thought she did the right thing by not telling Jack, something Steven always fed into. But once she's back she realizes she made a mistake - that she robbed both Jack and Nathan of a relationship.

I think one of the reasons this works for me is that Daisy realizes she made a mistake and tries her best to make it right. She doesn't let Jack run all over her, but she understands his anger.

Jack is one of those over-the-top alphas who oozes sexual menace. While that can be off-putting in a lot of ways, it really worked here. I can't exactly say why it worked, but it did. His anger at Daisy is completely and totally justified, as is his anger at Steven. When he realizes the enormity of their betrayal..well, my heart broke for him. Not only did he lose the woman he loved and his son, but he lost his best friends as well.

Watching Daisy and Jack move forward with their lives and come back together was really hard at times. I wanted them to work things out, but I wasn't sure how Jack could let go of his anger. I worried that the resolution would come too easily, or that the true conflict would be brushed aside. But that wasn't the case. Gibson did a credible job of showing us how that anger can eat at a person.

Although parts of this novel are tough to get through, it's well worth reading. The characters individual struggles and hardships just make them that much more rounded and believable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daisy's Back In Town.

Quotes Holly Liked

Rachel Gibson
“Mom," Nathan called to her.

Daisy pulled her gaze from the tent and the fleeting glimpse of Jack's bare back, the smooth planes and indent of his spine, the sliver of the white elastic just above the blue waistband of his jeans..."Hmm?"

"What's a faaar ant?" he asked just above a whisper.

"Fire." She chuckled and shook her head. "Fire ant. They have a nasty bite that burns."

Nathan smiled. "Well, why didn't he just say fire?"

"He thinks he did.”
Rachel Gibson, Daisy's Back In Town

Rachel Gibson
“I know about safe sex," Nathan said, interrupting Jack's thoughts.

Jack swallowed. "That's good." He smiled at his son, vastly relieved that there would be no hard questions about his own sex life.

"What I want to know is..." Nathan stole a quick look back at the tent. "Where is the clitoris exactly?"

Jack's smile fell and he opened his mouth. No words came out so he closed it.

Nathan had no problem forming his words, though. "And what the heck is a G-spot?”
Rachel Gibson, Daisy's Back In Town

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim This was a well-written review. I, too, felt the pain Jack experienced the summer he lost everyone he loved -- his, girlfriend, his best, friend, a child he didn't know about, and his parents.

Holly Kim wrote: "The part that angered me more than anything was Steven's letter to Jack. In it he asked for forgiveness, but yet admitted he KNEW Jack still loved Daisy, he KNEW Jack would have wanted to marry her, and... he didn't regret any of it. Now, how could Jack (or anyone for that matter) forgive that???? "

Yes! Exactly. As if Steven's actions weren't bad enough. That letter didn't do him any favors. I wouldn't have been able to forgive him.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim While perusing the net, I found a similar review written by you on The Bookbinge. In it you have an additional paragraph regarding Steven's actions which seems to mirror my own. Toward the end of the book, when Daisy is trying to explain why she didn't tell Jack about Nathan sooner, she begins a sentence by saying, "You don't understand. Steven..." She's then interrupted by Jack. What do you think she was going to say? And, what do you think would have happened if Steven had lived? Would they ever have told Jack?

Maria Michaels I totally agree with you! I thought I would hate the premise and I detest "secret baby" stories, but this was much more compelling to me and extremely well written.

Holly It takes a special author to make something like this work. Gibson definitely pulled it off.